▲ 6 ▼ Hiring: Software Engineer at Canonical Remote Position
Software Engineer at Canonical
Remote position - Europe, Middle East, Africa preferred, United Kingdom (Posted Aug 14 2017)
About the company
At Canonical, we believe in the power of
open source to change the world.
Canonical was created alongside Ubuntu to help it reach a wider market.
Our services help governments and businesses the world over with
migrations, management and support for their Ubuntu deployments.
Together with our partners, we ensure that Ubuntu runs reliably on every
platform from the PC and the smartphone to the server and, crucially,
- Remote work possible
Juju is a Canonical sponsored open source project that facilitates the
modeling and operation of the complex distributed software. Juju can
deploy and manage software running on public clouds, private clouds,
bare-metal servers or containers.
As a member of the Juju engineering team, you will design and
implement new features for Juju as well as dealing with bugs. Juju is a
large, complex distributed system that runs on a large number of
platforms - there’s no shortage of interesting technical challenges! You
will also be required to liaise with customer support and field
engineers to help diagnose and fix field issues.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of the software
defined datacenter, and about the ability for Juju and Open Source
generally to define that future. Canonical is a globally distributed
team of engineers who share that passion, and you will need to work well
in that context. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of the
dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of
large, innovative organizations.
This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
* Work with a variety of languages to develop high-quality, extensible and reusable software.
* Many internal and external teams depend on Juju to deliver their
products and services - from Canonical Infrastructure Services, our
Openstack and cloud delivery teams, to Fortune 500 companies. Each Juju
team member needs to actively collaborate with these users to resolve
problems and define new features.
* Every member of the Juju team should show strong technical
leadership in feature definition, feature delivery, code review, and
Skills & requirements
* Proven track record of at least 5 years professional software delivery using Go, C, C++, Java, Python or similar.
* Degree level education in a technology field
* Experience with agile software development methodologies
* Experience of the Linux and free software world
* Working knowledge of cloud computing
* Excellent communications skills in the English language, both
verbal and written, especially in online environments such as mailing
lists and IRC
* Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical)
* Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through
self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule,
and to motivate and mentor others to do the same
* Software development and operational experience with databases
* Go programming language experience
* Technical understanding of complex distributed systems
* Delivery of scale-out service solutions
* Experience with container technologies (Docker, LXD, Kubernetes, DC/OS etc)
* Programming with and operating MongoDB
* Exposure to devops/system administration
* Experience working on a distributed team on an open source project -- even if that is outside work open source contributions.
* Demonstrated track record of Open Source contributions
Instructions how to apply
Please apply via the official Canonical job posting here: